1.18.2012

Vegan Mac-n-Cheese


One of my absolute favorite comfort foods is macaroni and cheese. I love it as a warm, filling dinner. Which makes it a perfect winter or after-riding meal. Luckily, Monday was both. Although it was a pretty warm MLK day, I still had quite a work out riding a horse named Dezzy who was...shall we say...pokey, and I needed some delicious carbs to refuel!

And thus it was the perfect night to try out the vegan mac-n-cheese from Sarah Mattheny's Peas and Thank You cookbook. 





I also used some gluten-free pasta I had in the pantry, so this recipe was vegan and gluten-free. Win! The dish turned out a little paler than I expected to see (probably too used to Kraft dayglo orange) but the texture was nice and smooth. It was definitely a different taste, but it was cheesy, it melted well (Daiya cheese came highly recommended, and I approve. I plan to use it to make a grilled cheese later this week) and it was delicious. 

Probably an acquired taste for some (don't go into it expecting the same old mac-n-cheese) but definitely worth a try if you're looking for a healthier, easier-on-the-body version of this classic meal.

What are some of your favorite vegan versions of traditional dishes?
Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment